Tuesday, 7 June 2016

Being Back in a Classroom

'Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had.' -Unknown

Today I am back in the classroom. With the shortage of relievers I have been put into a year 5/6 class, that I also did the planning for this week. I cannot begin to express what a joy it is to be teaching again. I forgot how much I love the process of planning, teaching, creating, then celebrating the success with students!

We have started with a focus on Northwood by Brian Falkner. He is coming to visit our school next week, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to get stuck into his literature. When planning for reading for this week, I was aware of the variety of reading needs in this class. Because of this, instead of reading this book, we are listening to it on the radionz website. And what amazing learning is already coming from it - children who are reading at a 7 year level, being able to discuss their ideas with children who are reading at an 11 year old level. The rich discussions were a joy to be part of. Love it. To summarise our reading, we created group synopsis's of each chapter so far. Since then, we have moved onto writing, and yet I have caught three children still listening to the story - contagious reading! Children who are not so keen on reading, sneaking reading during other learning times...



No comments:

Post a Comment