Critical Literacy & Cultural Responsiveness
PD from Michelle Fepuleai
- Cultural Responsiveness - how we implement as teachers.
- Critical Literacy - being reflective in what we read and hear - inequality in power - dominant cultures - music, lyrics, radio... as well as books.
- Recognise difference! Recognise human celebrations!
- Giving children control over their learning - promote new hybridized cultural practices
- How can we make our classroom practices 'multimodal'?
- Critical Literacy - looking at things through other perspectives... Inquiry!
- Critical Thinking - analysing and reconstructing our own thinking
- Responsiveness - how can we adapt what we are putting on our walls to show cultural responsiveness?
- I think that I enjoy order and this reflects in my classroom. I like having order on the walls, order in behaviour and order in tasks and planning. Because of this I can now see that this may clash with some of the way my students work, and to be culturally responsive, I need to respect that 'disorder' doesn't reflect disrespect. An interesting idea...