Tuesday, 4 October 2016

ULearn - Day One - Opening

Being part of the SPARK MIT Scholarship has allowed me to attend/present at the ULearn conference 2016.  Presently I am sitting in the Opening Ceremony, listening to a local Kapa Haka group. What inspires me is the confidence in which these children stand - sure of themselves within their culture Next term, at Onehunga Primary, we are focusing on 'celebrations' for our Inquiry. In my planning I already have a focus on "Me" and what is important to "Me". Watching this, I realise that I need to allow the children in my class to bring a true representative of themselves to this unit. As a teacher, it is easy to box in and prescribe what you would like the children to bring - "bring a taonga from home", where as for some children it may be a song, a dance, or an item that is important to their family outside of the pretty box that teachers ask for because it is easier to put on the wall, or take a photo of. Think BIG.



No comments:

Post a Comment