New pedagogies for deep learning: a global innovative partnership
- Children want to get involved in the deep changes required to move forward
- Ideally, education should amplify the "help" wiring in children
- Knowledge should foster deeper thinking
- Focus should be: character, education citizenship collaboration communication, creativity.
- Deeper thinking:
- connects people to their real world, providing relevance
- it connects people with their values
- builds relationships of trust between teacher and student
- creates a culture of high expectations
- increases efficacy and optimism
- provides support for students who do not have much
- Whole system change strategies (things that DON'T work)
- accountability (history of failure)
- standards (insufficient)
- system culture (promising success)
- Breakthrough Leadership
- Respect but reject that status quo
- Be an expert and apprentice at the same time
- Experiment with new ways then problem solve and commit to complete
- The young are the most connected
- The young are the least committed to the status quo - they can't wait to try the new thing!
"Humans, especially the young, find 'helping humanity' to be of intrinsic value."
- Respect your students in the present, rather than the future.
- Give students some choice!
- Be willing to admit you don't know the answer
- Normalise failure - it is okay to make mistakes!
- Set the world askew!!
- Make sure students feel like they belong :>
- Use the 6 C's in your planning!
- Creating rich activities with an open-end product! Children are able to create their own ending.
- DEEP LEARNING - Pedagogical Practices, Learning Partnerships, Learning Environments, Leveraging Digital
|To use in the classroom?|
KEY IDEAS FROM LECTURE:
- Students are Change Agents!!
- They cause pedagogical change!
- Organisational change
- Societal change
- Professional Capital of Teachers
- Human capital + decisional capital(group can use evidence to back their learning) + social capital(specific groups who work well together)
- Taking a complex idea and simplifying